Product name: 2001 - A Space Odyssey (Two-Disc Special Edition) (1968)
A space mission that could reveal man?s destiny is jeopardized by a malfunctioning shipboard computer. A dazzling journey that tops them all and showed the way for other effects-packed films that followed. Click here for more information!
Special features of this edition:
-Commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
-Channel 4 documentary: 2001: The Making of a Myth
-Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
-Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
-2001: A Space Odyssey - A Look Behind the Future
-2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
-Look: Stanley Kubrick!
-Audio-only interview with Stanley Kubrick
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the product's ACTUAL customers:
* This boxset contains a lot of sci-fi classics: the sort of movies which you would either love or hate. I bought it mainly for The Time Machine movie though, and the rest were nice bonus extras!
* Finally, a superb masterpiece available in an equally superb edition! I would recommend this collection set to all the fans of Kubrick!
* This is a great collection containing some of MGM's finest movies ever! 2001: A Space Odyssey has a great cast and although the costumes look a bit dated by modern standards, the space scenes are totally convincing!
* I have watched this movie over twenty times since it was first released. This Blu-ray disc is indeed stunning and of great quality!
* 2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece among movies. There is not one negative aspect about it. If you are a movie aficionado I highly suggest that you watch it right now!
* I simply adore this movie. At first look, it may seem to be incomprehensible, bewildering and confusing, but so what? That is the beauty of Kubrick's art: you will never 'get it'!
* All the movies contained in this collection are the top science fiction movies with special effects that look good even today! 2001: A Space Odyssey is the finest science fiction movie and one of best movies ever made!
* I like this movie. Nice to see some of the other movies as well which I grew up with!
* This is a nice addition to my collection. The shipping was fast and it is good to see these masterpieces together in one place. I highly recommend it!
* I watched this movie years ago as a kid, when it was released in 1968. Glad I was able to revisit it after such a long time. I think it is worth watching, though, my teenage son disagrees with me!
* 2001: A Space Odyssey is not your typical sci-fi movie. There is very little dialog in it and the movie itself, though wonderful, is not entirely faultless as far as the graphics are concerned! The music is sometimes at odds with the scenes depicted of the movie but still, the classical songs included in it are all awesome! The DVD quality is however, great!
* 2001: A Space Odyssey is the kind of movie that was great when it was first released but is extremely mediocre by today's standards! I would not want my grandchildren to sit through this slow-paced, long, overproduced and under-scripted mess full of annoying technical flaws!
* This is a movie full of depth: so much so that I could comprehend only 50% of it! Some of the scenes were so bizarre that I found them very monotonous! I would award it 5 starts for its 'deep meaning' but only 2 stars for the poor execution!
* I am a 50-year old science fiction movie fan who grew up with the Star Trek movies. Personally, I found this movie more boring than the others contained in this set! I had a hard time keeping myself awake while watching 2001: A Space Odyssey! I still wonder why it is considered a classic!
* I found it to be an OK movie. I am not a fan of the sci-fi genre and had to watch it for a college course. It is a bit too long for its own good and you have to watch it very closely to make sure you understand its meaning fully!
* I just finished watching it and it worked like a sleeping pill for me! I was so bored with it that I did not even have the energy to write a longer review! The special effects were great though!
* I guess it is a good movie. After the first twenty minutes, the movie felt way too slow for me. Still, it is worth watching at least once!
* While watching this movie, I fell asleep four times. I could not comprehend whether this movie was about apes, aliens, space travel or a confused human being! Now I feel stupid for watching it!
Click here to read more customer reviews on this product!
It takes great patience to watch a movie like this which contains very little dialog and looks more like a college course on Physics than an entertaining movie. That said, if you are patient enough, the malevolence of the character HAL would keep you on the edge of your seat; it is not one of those one-dimensional characters you get to see in science fiction movies - despite being a machine, it talks, acts and, thinks even suspects others - just like a human. My favorite part is of course the beginning which shows the generation of the Homo Sapiens from apes, and the part that shows eventual degradation of the human race!
Bottom line, if you are the 'impatient' type like me, you would be bored even before half the movie completes. Do keep that in mind: this movie REQUIRES YOUR PATIENCE! I watched it in small parts over several days, to make sure that I am able to keep my sanity intact! I am a fan of Kubrick but not THIS particular movie! Honestly, it is the soundtrack (especially The Blue Danube) which makes this movie somewhat enjoyable!
The movie's soundtrack contains the following tracks:
1. Overture: Atmospheres - The Sudwesfunk Orchestra, Ernest Bour
2. Main Title: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spake Zarathustra) - The Vienna Philharmonic, Herbert Von Karajan
3. Requiem For Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, Two Mixed Choirs & Orchestra - The Bavarian Radio Orchetra, Francis Travis
4. The Blue Danube (Excerpt) - The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert Von Karajan
5. Lux Aeterna - The Stuttgart Schola Cantorum, Clytus Gottwold
6. Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio) - The Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra, Gennadi Rezhdestvensky
7. Jupiter And Beyond - The Bavarian Radio Orchestra, Francis Travis, The Sudwesfunk Orchestra, Ernest Bour, Internationale.
8. Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
9. The Blue Danube (Reprise) - The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert Von Karajan
10. Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) - Sudwesfunk Orchestra
11. Lux Aeterna - The Stuttgart Schola Cantorum, Clytus Gottwold
12. Adventures (Unaltered) - Internationale Musikinstitut, Gyorgy Ligeti
13. HAL 9000 - Dialog Montage
Click here for more information about the movie's soundtrack!
Actors: Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, Daniel Richter, Alan Gifford
Directors: Stanley Kubrick
Format: AC-3, Closed-captioned, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, Original recording remastered, Special Edition, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
Language: English, Russian
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1
Number of discs: 2
Rated: G (General Audience)
Studio: Warner Home Video
DVD Release Date: October 23, 2007
Run Time: 141 minutes
This product is sold and shipped by Amazon.com.Share this: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Facebook | eMail | LinkedIn