Product name: Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski: A Film Legacy (1977)
The six-film Herzog/Kinski boxed set is a sleek compilation of a visionary cinematic collaboration. The history of cinema is dotted with great directors who have found an actor whose face, voice, and style capture that director's point of view: Josef Von Sternberg and Marlene Dietrich; John Ford and John Wayne; Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro. In 1972, the German director Werner Herzog cast Polish actor Klaus Kinski in Aguirre, the Wrath of God--the result was perhaps the definitive film for both. Kinski had previously made almost 100 films, but his malevolent role--as a Spanish conquistador obsessed with finding gold--shot him into international stardom.
Though Herzog and the volatile Kinski were at each other's throats through much of the filming, seven years later the director cast Kinski as the tortured vampire of Nosferatu, Phantom of the Night (a color remake of the silent horror classic) and the title character of Woyzeck, based on the classic expressionistic German play about a jealous, unstable soldier who murders his lover. Both films continued the Herzog-Kinski trademark of intense unflinching emotion and the palpable presence of the raw physical world.
-Aguirre, The Wrath of God in Full Frame Presentation (1.33:1)
-Woyzeck in Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
-Cobra Verde in Anamorphic Widescreen (1.77:1)
-Nosferatu in Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) - German Language Version Fitzcarraldo in -Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
-My Best Fiend in Anamorphic Widescreen (1.77:1)
Click here for more information!
Special features of this edition:
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the product's ACTUAL customers:
* I received the boxset just as advertised here. It is not easy to locate Herzog's movies, especially here in Indiana. To have several of his great movies in one neat package is sure a treat for the eyes of any movie-lover!
* This DVD boxset is proof of the fact that you don't need to use loads of special effects and money in order to produce a good quality film. The documentary included in this package talks about the complex relationship shared by Werner Herzog & Klaus Kinski!
* Herzog is a master filmmaker and his movies are a must-watch for anyone who calls themselves "movie buff"! This is good quality product available in a neat package. Overall, you shouldn't pass over this awesome deal!
* This boxset consists of six great movies made by two insane persons. A wonderful collection all around that is worth a look!
* All the movies contained in this boxset are classics! My only problem is that the movie Nosferatu doesn't come with an English version - only the German one!
* All the movies contained in this DVD boxset are incredible explorations of the extremities of human and non-human behavior! My favorite movie is "Aguirre - The Wrath of God"!
* This product is of excellent value and quality. It already has "Fitzcaraldo", but if you wanna know about the story behind that movie then you should also watch "Les Blank's Burden of Dreams"!
* This is an excellent DVD boxset. Klaus Kinski is obviously the real star of all the movies contained herein! My personal favorites are "Woyzeck", "Aguirre" and the documentary called "My Best Friend"!
* I would suggest that you buy this! It is without a doubt an awesome deal and even the packaging is pretty good! All the movies contained in this DVD boxset (except Woyzeck) are entertaining as well as full of insight! Plus, they also come with English audio tracks! What more could you ask for!
* If you want to watch five legendary films made by two world-famous lunatics then this product is for you! The DVD is mostly decent, and the picture quality is good! However the English versions of these movies contain some huge mistakes: even if you don't speak German you can tell that not all the words were translated properly! Worse, there is no text subtitle included!
* I found most of these movies boring, except the one about a boat and another one about the vampire! I don't think it is justified to buy this whole boxset for the sake of only these two movies; I'd rather buy them as standalone products!
* I just finished watching all the movies included in this boxset and to be honest, I am sorely disappointed with my purchase! It is tedious to hear Herzog constantly drone on about the philosophy of movie-making, but what bothers me the most is that all the movies you get here are dubbed, and that in both the German and the English version of the movies the audio track doesn't match well with the mouth movements of the actors!
* I am a great admirer of the works of Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski, but I think that among the movies included here, only "Aguirre" and "Fitzcarraldo" count among their best works; the rest of the movies are just bland and forgettable. In particularly, I think that the "Nosferatu" movie is just a pointless remake!
Click here to read more customer reviews on this product!
In real life, he maybe an insane man suffering from volatile and unpredictable mood (which I could care less about, btw) - but when it comes to acting, few artistes could even match eye to eye with the legendary Klaus Kinski! Watch these movies for Kinski alone (in fact, if not for him, they would not have been as entertaining)!
As for the DVD boxset, I would buy it even if only for "Aguirre"! Given the quality of the movies included herein, I believe that this product is worth every penny!
NOTE: This only concerns the movie "Aguirre - The Wrath of God"!
The movie's soundtrack contains the following tracks:
1. Aguirre I (L'acrime di rei)
2. Morgengruss II
3. Aguirre II
4. Agnus dei
6. Aguirre III
Click here for more information about the movie's soundtrack!
Actors: Werner Herzog, Klaus Kinski, Ruy Guerra, Isabelle Adjani, Bruno Ganz
Directors: Werner Herzog
Writers: Werner Herzog, Bram Stoker, Bruce Chatwin, Georg Büchner
Producers: Andre Singer, Christine Ruppert, Daniel Camino
Format: Anamorphic, Box set, Color, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen
Language: German (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 6
Rated: NR (Not Rated)
Studio: Starz / Anchor Bay
DVD Release Date: February 10, 2004
Run Time: 648 minutes
This product is sold and shipped by Amazon.com.Share this: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Facebook | eMail | LinkedIn