Product name: A Prayer for the Dying (1987)
Mickey Rourke (9 1/2 Weeks) gives "his finest performance to date" (L.A. Weekly) in this hair-trigger action-thriller co-starring Bob Hoskins (Enemy at the Gates), Alan Bates (The Sum of All Fears) and Liam Neeson (Star Wars: Episode I). A gritty tale of retribution and redemption, A Prayer for the Dying has "a brisk style and an edgy rhythm" (The New York Times) that will keep your heart racing in suspense until the final frame! Tormented IRA revolutionary Martin Fallon (Rourke) wants out of the endless cycle of violence and bloodshed. Unfortunately, the price for his freedom is to perform one last murder for a ruthless mobster (Bates). As the vicious world he's trying to escape closes in on him, Fallon's only hope for salvation may be the man he's been ordered to kill. Click here for more information!
Special features of this edition:
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the product's ACTUAL customers:
* I had never heard of this movie before but upon watching it, I couldn't help but wonder what a masterpiece it could have been! Mickey Rourke delivers a terrific performance as an evil hit man who wants to reform!
* It is a very touching film. I would recommend it to those who have never watched it. I am still waiting for the DVD version of the movie!
* This is one of the rare movies in which all the characters look quite plausible. In fact, it is solely the performances of the actors involved that makes it such a captivating motion picture!
* The plot, action, cinematography as well as Bill Conti's soundtrack are excellent. Mickey Rourke is great in this movie and his Irish accent is very convincing!
* This is a great movie and an extremely faithful adaptation of the book it is based on. If you liked the book you will definitely enjoy the movie! Mickey Rourke is a treat to watch, so is the rest of the stellar cast!
* The complex portrayal of a simple man torn between his mission and his conscience - and between acts of loyalty and honor - make this movie an excellent masterpiece!
* This movie is much better than I expected. The direction is good and so are the performances of the lead actors - Mickey Rourke, Alan Bates and Bob Hoskins! I feel however that the story could have been a bit better!
* This is a very well-made movie. On one hand, it is quite faithful to the book and on the other, the performances from all the actors are very good. I am surprised that it is not more well known! It definitely deserves more viewership!
* A Prayer for the Dying is one of my favorite books. This movie, while good, could have been better. The characters, with the exception of Rourke and Hoskins, are awfully shallow and one-dimensional!
* This is one of those movies which could have been better but isn't, what with someone like Mike Hodges directing it! The editing is messy, and the movie, although good, has its flaws. One look at the movie and you get a feeling that it was a missed opportunity for those involved in the project! I am still waiting to watch the director's cut version!
* I loved Mickey Rourke's performance as a IRA man but the part of blowing up the school bus just did not look quite convincing to me!
* It is a nice movie from the 80s. You would enjoy it more if you can get over Mickey Rourke's terrible Irish accent. It starts out as a drama but then diverges into a "shoot 'em up" kind of action flick. Still worth a watch due to its good storyline!
Click here to read more customer reviews on this product!
I didn't like the movie much. To be honest, I watched it only for Mickey Rourke who once again delivers a credible performance - so does Bob Hoskins. However, the other actors merely look like 'fillers' and even the story kinda turned somewhat melodramatic toward the end (most of it coming from Sammi Davis who is visibly inept to play a blind girl)! Overall, this mushy movie is worth watchable only IF you are a fan of Mickey Rourke!
BTW, you may want use English subtitles while watching this movie (I had a hard time understanding the Irish accent put on by the actors: I do a better job at understanding American or even the British accent)!
The soundtrack has never been officially released, but its bootleg versions maybe available online!
The movie's soundtrack contains the following tracks:
01 - Main Title - In London
02 - Tipping Off The Cops
03 - The Death Of Krasko
04 - Confess Your Sins
05 - Conversations
06 - The Meeing
07 - Fallon And The Blind Girl
08 - The Killer
09 - Ship Of Fools
10 - Just As You Told To Me
11 - End Title
Actors: Mickey Rourke, Bob Hoskins, Alan Bates, Sammi Davis, Christopher Fulford
Directors: Mike Hodges
Writers: Edmund Ward, Jack Higgins, Martin Lynch
Producers: Christabel Albery, Peter Snell, Samuel Goldwyn Jr.
Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Dubbed, Full Screen, Letterboxed, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
Language: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Number of discs: 1
Rated: R (Restricted)
Studio: MGM (Video & DVD)
DVD Release Date: February 4, 2003
Run Time: 107 minutes
This product is sold and shipped by Amazon.com.Share this: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Facebook | eMail | LinkedIn