Product name: After Hours (1985)
An ordinary word processor goes to Manhattan's Soho district one night to date a girl, but little does he know that this night is going to be his worst! Click here for more information!
Special features of this edition:
* Deleted scenes
* Making-of documentary
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the product's ACTUAL customers:
* Movies such as After Hours makes you wish that Martin Scorsese made more such comedies. Griffin Dunne is perfect in the role of Everyman who goes downtown to meet a girl and finds himself totally jinxed!
* Watch this classic before you die! I could relate to this movie easily because when I and my boyfriend were dating, we too used to have nights somewhat similar to the one presented in this movie; also, you can easily find weird and bizarre characters in New York City at night!
* After directing many serious films, Scorsese made a departure to comedies; however, Scorsese being Scorsese, even a comedy has to be one in which an ordinary man faces one bad luck after another. This movie rings true even today! Griffin Dunne is great, but sometimes you may find the indignities heaped upon him a little over-the-top!
* After Hours is one of Scorsese's best movies. The cinematography is richly detailed. This is the best dark comedy ever!
* It is one of my favorite movies! If you are a fan of Martin Scorsese then I urge you to watch this movie. The characterization and the story are so believable that you won't be disappointed! Of course, if you are looking for a movie on Italian Mafia, this is not for you!
* This movie is full of memorable one-liners which, while not so funny on their own, definitely add to the hilarity of the movie, given its funny atmosphere. In the end, what you get is lots of gut-wrenching laughs!
* This movie is about Paul Hackett who has one of the weirdest nights of his life when he tries to return home after his date! This movie is indeed one of Scorsese's underrated classics. Highly recommended!
* The movie's story is totally original yet bizarre, and so are its characters! After all, in how many movies would you find a humble hero being chased by a mentally unstable truck driver of Mr. Softy and a bunch of vigilante men? The music is great too!
* Although I am not a Scorsese fan, I think he has created a masterpiece in the form of After Hours! Although the movie itself was very funny, I could not always laugh since I could relate so well to Paul and his predicaments! This is one of those movies that don't get made often!
* This movie is excellent due to its offbeat nature (just like the comedies of the Coen brothers), but if you are buying this DVD for the commentary, think again! The commentary contains less of either Scorsese or Dunne, and more of the cinematographer, whom I found horribly dull and boring!
* The picture quality is excellent; however, the widescreen aspect ratio is fake. Buyer beware!
Click here to read more customer reviews on this product!
I agree with one of the reviewers: this is definitely the kind of movie you would want to watch before you die! It is my favorite Scorsese comedy; I liked it even more than King of Comedy. It is a pity that Scorsese did not make more such dark comedies; he went too commercial too soon - at the beginning of the 90's. It is equally pitiful that Griffin Dunne's output as an actor is extremely limited!
Why I like this movie? The reasons are many. Let us count the extremely hilarious moments first: from the protagonist's dumping Rosanna's character which leads to her suicide, his money flying out of a taxi window, his inability to go home, his being (wrongly) mistaken for a thief, the meeting with two crazy female characters: one of whom pasted his pictures across the town suggesting that he is a "wanted" thief (as a "punishment" for dumping her), and another who whistled to the vigilante crowd to indicate that the protagonist is indeed the thief they are looking for, to his almost getting a "mohawk" haircut, to his finally being transformed into a sculpture as a last ditch rescue attempt, well the movie is bound to keep you on the edge of the seat!
I also liked the camera work in two of the scenes: one, in which the protagonist stealthily flees Rosanna's room and another when he finally quits his job! In my opinion, Howard Shore provided one of his best scores here; I hardly liked any of his other movie scores as much!
The acting has been criticized by some as "deadpan". Well nothing could be further from the truth! The movie portrays the common man and his trials (heck, I too have had many similar predicaments in my life, but not always at night); let us face it - the common man is no Academy award winning actor or actress! That said, the acting is really spot-on! Don't miss out on Scorsese's cameo as the searchlight operator of Club Berlin!
Watch this if you want to watch a high-quality comedy about how a regular word processor goes through one hell-of-a-night! I have watched this movie so many times that I cannot recommend it enough! If you want to watch one of Scorsese's best works, this is it; you might soon find yourself screaming: "I don't WANT any entertainment!"
The movie's soundtrack contains the following tracks:
1. 9 PM
3. 3 AM
4. 6 AM
Note that soundtrack of the movie is not available separately; you must buy the Howard Shore Collector's Edition Vol. 1, which I would say is worth the money for this movie's amazing soundtrack alone! Click here for more information about the movie's soundtrack!
Actors: Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Verna Bloom, Tommy Chong, Linda Fiorentino
Directors: Martin Scorsese
Format: Anamorphic, Closed-captioned, Color, Dubbed, DVD, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen
Language: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Number of discs: 1
Rated: R (Restricted)
Studio: Warner Home Video
DVD Release Date: August 17, 2004
Run Time: 97 minutes
This product is sold by DIRECT Liquidations and shipped by Amazon.com.
About DIRECT Liquidations:
Value, selection, and always guaranteed satisfaction. Easy returns and 100% of our products are eligible for PRIME Shipping through Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)Share this: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Facebook | eMail | LinkedIn