Product name: Mars and Venus on a Date: A Guide for Navigating the 5 Stages of Dating to Create a Loving and Lasting Relationship
Product Author: John Gray
John Gray has written this dating guide for those who have either been recently divorced, or been in the 'single' group longer than they would want to! According to the author, if you are looking for someone special, but have not found him/her yet, then this is the relationship guide that would help you cut through the "dating maze" and find your soul mate quicker than you would expect! Click here for more information!
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the product's ACTUAL customers:
* I enjoyed this book very much. Although apparently written with the American market in mind, the wisdom contained in this book goes beyond the American market! This book should not only help a couple understand each other better, but also help make their marriage happier and more fulfilling!
* It simplifies the concepts of dating and relationships! A must-read for you, whether you are already dating someone, or still searching for that 'special' person. This book is full of humor and has several great examples! It helped me understand the differences between the two sexes much better!
* This excellent book is an informative guide to dating. I would love to give it to my friends who are serial-daters!
* This is a great book and I will forever swear by it. It helped me understand the emotional/intimacy cycles of men and women better, and I feel I can relate to the author since I too have been through a few relationships. It is also a great guide for those who act needy/desperate/condescending in a relationship, which can be a huge turn-off for the other partner!
* This book talks about how to find your soul mate, how to know if a relationship has the potential to grow beyond the first stage of dating, relationship do's and don'ts, why a certain relationship is not working, and more! But the one thing I liked about this book is that it discusses all the five stages of dating really well!
* This is a great guide for anyone looking for a relationship with the opposite sex. The advice given in this book is applicable to both the genders!
* This book totally rocks! I feel I can relate a lot of the things talked about in this book to my own life! After reading this book, I feel 10 times more relaxed and happy. Now, if a guy wants to break up, I no longer feel betrayed or take it very personally; on the contrary, I feel contented, knowing that I did not end up marrying the wrong guy! While this book may or may not solve your current relationship troubles, it would certainly make the next one easier for you!
* This book is only for those singles who are interested in finding love that is true and lasting! Everyone else should stay away from this book! The book is vague at places; for example, in Chapter 2, although Dr. Gray offers some tips to help you realize if you have met the right person, the tips and ideas he offers are quite vague and not very useful in helping you have a clear idea of what you are looking for; without a clear idea of what you want, you are liable to make the same mistakes that have destroyed all of your previous relationships!
* Although not completely worthless, this is a pretty bad book, with rehashed content, full of psychobabble nonsense and gender stereotypes. For example, the author says that men are happy when they serve women, and women are happy when they are served by men! If women were really such narcissists then there would be no possibility of having any relationship with them at all! With better books out there, there is no point in spending time or money on it!
* While it was an amusing read, this book was totally useless for me. I found the gender and personality stereotypes too hard to digest!
* This below-the-belt book is not only very wordy, but also preaches you to pretend to be someone you are not - when in a relationship! The dating and relationship techniques discussed in this book are largely outdated!
* Some common sense here and there; nothing new or fancy. The three things about this book which ticked me off are: a) It advises you to hunt for your soulmates in the places you would hate to go to otherwise; b) It preaches you to pretend to be someone you are not; c) It advices you to date the ex-partner of your friend. Overall, it was a fun read for me. I would suggest you skim it at your local bookstore; it is not worth buying!
* This book is OK, but just too feminized for men. If you are a guy and follow the advice offered in this book closely, your woman will NOT respect you; instead, she will walk all over you! This is a good book for a man who wants to win the heart, mind, body and the soul of a woman, but if you are just looking for a lot of sexual conquests, this book is not for you. A lot of the tips offered in this book apply to women more than to men!
* While on one hand the author encourages open communication in a relationship, at times he also advises you not to be very candid with the other partner! In addition, the author not only dwells more on the differences between men and women than the similarities, he also offers a rather stereotypical view of men as the evil wrongdoers and women as the saviors in relationships!
* The author teaches you how to play the game of love, but I believe that love is not a game, nor do I think that you should/need to trick someone to fall in love with you, so this book did not work for me!
* This book has some gold nuggets here and there, and especially the five stages of dating, namely attraction, uncertainty, exclusivity, intimacy and engagement, were quite eye-opening for me. But overall, I believe the advice given in this book is not very realistic. I will give you three examples to support my conclusion:
a) He asks men to empathize with a women's plight, but does not mention anything about being honest in a relationship. What if I don't agree with the woman?
b) He asks men to please women all the time, but expect nothing in return, and that women should expect men to do all sorts of nice things to them, but again the author does not speak about reciprocation.
c) He asks men to apologize to women, but does not say anything about the opposite!
In short, the author's extreme and rigid views about the gender stereotypes, his "over-feminization" of the concept of dating, not to mention his advise of not being honest in a relationship, are some of the things that were huge turn-offs for me!
Click here to read more customer reviews on this product!
I would like to agree with the last reviewer who pointed out some of the glaring negatives about the book, which makes it quite unfit to be applicable to any true relationship in the world of today. Maybe 20 years ago the advice of Gray's book might have been valid, but times have changed now!
Most of all, since this book suggests about not being honest in a relationship; this may not be a good advice for anyone looking for a happy and lasting relationship, because being dishonest about yourself to your partner is hardly a good start to a successful relationship! I would suggest that you use this book as a guide to find dating partners, but for advice regarding the next stages of the relationship, get some other self-help book!
About the Author:
John Gray (born 1951) is an American relationship counselor, lecturer and author who has several university degrees received under a variety of circumstances. In 1969, he began a nine year association with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi before beginning his career as an author and personal relationship counselor. In 1992 he published the book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, which became a long term best seller and formed the central theme of all his subsequent books and career activities. His books have been bought by millions of people around the world while drawing criticism from academics for trivializing the dynamics of relationship psychology.
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Product Dimensions: 8 x 5.4 x 0.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 10.6 ounces
This product is sold and shipped by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.Share this: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Facebook | eMail | LinkedIn