Company Name: KnownHost
Official Home Page: KnownHost.com
KnownHost offers several web hosting services such as shared hosting, fully-managed VPS (virtual private server) hosting, VPS reseller hosting, managed hybrid hosting, managed dedicated servers, etc. According to their domain's WHOIS info, they have been in business since 2005, and they are based in Pennsylvania (19460)! Click here for more information on this web hosting company!!
* Powered by Virtuozzo Power Panel
* Unlimited domains on each VPS or Hybrid Server
* Full root access
* cPanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin Control Panel
* Datacenters: Texas, New Jersey or California
* Easy and seamless upgrades with no downtime
* Fast, Efficient support by seasoned professionals
* A rock solid VPS hosting experience!
30 day money back guarantee
WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY:
Below is a summary of the feedback we gathered from the company's ACTUAL customers:
* I have been with Knownhost for less than a month, and so far, very pleased with them. This is my first VPS purchase. I was migrating from a shared hosting environment; naturally, I had a lot of questions about setups, which Knownhost's support staff answered very patiently. If this is the level of support I would be getting from them then I plan to stay with them for a long time!
* Knownhost is a very good host. They do exactly what they say on their website! Every time I have contact them with a support issue, they get back to me in a very timely manner!
* I have been with Knownhost for the past 2 years and I got to say that their customer service is really great! They instantly notify me about any kind of problems related to my account. For example, if my server is hit with a spam complaint, they are quick to notify me about that. They are so proactive that they even send alerts to my mobile phone! I love that!
* I am with Knownhost for almost one year now. Their VPS packages are excellent value for money. I am yet to see a web host whose customer support staff is so quick, responsive and willing to help and sort out the matters with the customer. I would certainly rate them 9 out of 10!
* I am with Knownhost for about 7 months. Right from the beginning, the support and uptime has been awesome! Support tickets get answered in less than 30 minutes! Even if there is any kind of expected downtime the staff promptly notifies me of the same!
* If you are looking for a VPS, Knownhost is certainly your best option in my opinion. The burst RAM they offer with a VPS package is about as much as you would get with a dedicated server! Most of my support tickets get answered in less than 10 minutes! They own more than 10 dedicated servers and their service is top-notch in my opinion. They even sent me a Christmas card! I am impressed with Knownhost's level of service!
* Knownhost is a pretty good web host. They run a very tight ship and answer support questions fast. In the rarest of rare cases when you don't get a proper response to your support tickets, you can always PM their CEO Paul through their forum - he is a very helpful guy!
* I am with Knownhost for about 3 years and very happy so far! Support has always been awesome. I have had minor network-related issues with them in the beginning but once I switched the data center everything was back to normal and I never had an uptime issue with them since!
* I just wanted to express my thanks to the Knownhost support staff for being on my side and helping me out when one of my important sites went down today!
* I signed up with Knownhost about 5 months ago and all I can say is that they offer awesome service and support. My WordPress and Joomla sites have never been down except due to my fault. Since there are a lot of things I don't know anything about, I do break stuff when tweaking server settings! However, Knownhost's support usually responds in 15 minutes or less and fixes whatever I have broken! To top it all, barely a couple of months after signing up with them, I received extra RAM, diskspace and bandwidth in the form of their Santa deal!
* Well it has been five months since I signed up with Knownhost and during this time, they have helped me in every way possible, from mitigating a DDOS attack on my website, to directing me on how to fix my MYSQL overload, to fixing an unresponsive VPS, etc. You may be paying a bit more here compared to the other web hosting companies, but I believe that the superb customer support you get at Knownhost makes it worth the extra bucks!
I really have nothing to complain about! It gives me great peace of mind to know that everything is running smoothly in my server; if there is any problem at any moment, they are quick to notify us about it!
* Before signing up with a new web hosting company, I always make it a point to do a Google search about them. Recently, I did a Google search of the phrase "Knownhost sucks" but all I found are heaps and heaps of praises about them! So, I decided to sign up with them. My very first impression with their customer support has been positive!
* I was with Dreamhost and wanted to shift elsewhere due to their unreliable and slow service! Through my search, I found one company, Knownhost, against whom I could find no complaint, try as I might! I signed up with them and the start was far from smooth because I never owned a VPS before!
Anyway Knownhost offers extraordinary support and they answer my support questions in less than 15 minutes. If you need to get some script installed or fix anything broken they are always quick to help. I won't hesitate to recommend them!
* I was really very disappointed with instability and unreliability of Knownhost's hosting service. Although I must admit that their average response time to support tickets is really fast, I experienced too many outages within the same year to force me to move out! Every time my site would experience a downtime, their support would tell me that everything such as RAM, httpd, etc., is stable and normal, even as I kept getting downtime notifications from pingdom. The last nail on the coffin was a DDOS attack!
* I lasted with Knownhost for just one week. Their VPS servers were too slow for my needs!
* I tried calling Knownhost on phone but instead of being able to talk to a live human being, all I got is a typical voice mail!
* I cannot believe Knownhost has no redundancy system or generator backup in place. In our 11 years of experience with various web hosting companies, we are yet to see a web host with so much downtime. This kind of downtime is unacceptable in this day and age, so we guess we have to dump Knownhost for good. I contacted their sales team and from what I gather, it is a 3-year old problem which is yet to be fixed!!
* I got all my websites out of Knownhost a month ago due to their frequent downtime issues. They had this (outage) coming! Let us face the truth: Knownhost sucks and I hope you transfer all of your websites somewhere else as soon as possible!
* I signed up for a reseller hosting account with Knownhost and was disappointed to find out that they don't allow customers to host mailing lists on reseller accounts! Everything else about Knownhost was perfect though!
* I love Knownhost but I cannot believe that the 1 GB of RAM I have is not enough to handle the traffic spike of my websites!! While the overall memory usage by the websites remained extremely low, CPU usage was always high and so was the server load. No amount of optimization or tweaks of PHP, MYSQL, and APACHE bore any fruit! In the end, I even deleted several of my websites to free up the server of the load but the problem remains! I am now looking for an alternative web hosting company!
* Knownhost is not a reliable host. My sites just keep crashing. I experienced 2-3 downtimes within just one day and the tech support guy told me it was because the inodes of my files are used up! I was never told that my VPS account is limited by inodes! When I asked them to raise my inode limit, they said it is only possible through an account upgrade! Go to hell Knownhost. This is scam!
Click here for more information on this web hosting company!!
Well, the biggest recommendation for Knownhost would be that this very website is hosted with them! Of course that can change in future, but as of now, I am a happy camper. Been with Knownhost for more than 2 years and in these 2 years, I have had my share of highs and lows, major and minor issues with them. I think their service is decent, but I would rate their customer support even higher. I don't think their customer service has got a decent competition, LOL! It is not always that they reply to my tickets within 15 minutes but by the time they reply, you know for sure that your problem is either already solved or going to be solved soon!
That is because, instead of just focusing on replying to tickets as quickly as possible, they actually like to go to the root of the problem and see what is really hurting. In my opinion, a constructive response is much more useful than a quick but fluffy response!
With Knownhost, you get exactly what you pay for - no hype, no overselling, no promises of "unlimited bandwidth and disk space". Also, unlike some of the other web hosting companies whose sole focus is on marketing themselves and recruiting affiliates rather than improving their hosting services, Knownhost primarily aims at keeping their service stable, if not in making it better!
They don't promote their affiliate program like crazy which is a good thing because you get to see actual reviews of the company rather than fake affiliate reviews. Customer support is good, although they can delay a bit on weekends and off-peak hours; sometimes they may also fail to understand you due to some miscommunication but as long as you are willing to co-operate with them, they are very patient and understanding!
Only thing I don't like about them is that if they receive even one spam complaint from Spamcop™ they go overboard and threaten to suspend my account if I don't respond within 24 hours. I wrote about this on my blog and how to avoid it, but basically, I think they treat a single spam complaint like I have 100s of spam complaints! Such a proactive approach may be good because it keeps their IPs off the dreaded blacklists, but it can also annoy innocent customers.
Apart from that, I have had no problems with them!
They get DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks very rarely though, probably because they don't host adult/warez sites (there seems to be a direct connection between the two - a "No Holds Barred" webhost gets DDOS attacks more often than a more "restrictive host" - I have no idea why)!
Interestingly, it is their Texas-based datacenter that seems to be attacked more often.
I agree about the uptime though, but again, I have issues only with the Dallas datacenter. When it is not DDOS attack, you are bound to receive at least one downtime notification from Siteuptime per month! It seems that when I post a support ticket my server is down but only when my server is back up do they respond to my ticket to say that everything in the server is normal. Thankfully their downtimes usually don't last more than 15-30 minutes on an average. For the last 2 months I have haven't had any downtime issues but if I do, I am going to move out!
Also, if you have too many WordPress blogs, you may have CPU and RAM issues, but note it is a WordPress problem and NOT a web host's fault! In this case, I would suggest you upgrade to a hybrid or dedicated server.
So, if you want more stability, I would suggest you opt for the California datacenter; I hardly have any issues with it (to ward off any possible confusion: I have two servers with them: one at Dallas and other at Los Angeles)!
If you prove to be a loyal customer I am sure you would enjoy their Christmas goodies of extra bandwidth and RAM!
Note that (as per my knowledge) Knownhost has no redundancy option available, but for the price they charge you, you should not probably expect it anyway!
I would rate Knownhost servers to be decent, and their support to be outstanding. The support guys are nice enough to even handhold you just in case …!
About the Company
KnownHost is a privately held professional web hosting company founded outside the Nation's Capital. All our technology and support is centered around the Colo4dallas state of the art datacenter which features Premium Bandwidth such as Internap and Level 3. With our core focus being quality hosting services we also take pride in providing an industry leading uptime to our clients.
Why choose us?
With so many hosting companies to choose from, we at KnownHost want to make this important decision as easy as possible. Our innovative technology combines on-demand capabilities with top of the line service. We believe the key to a successful business relationship is through understanding our customers' needs and following through with customers' wants.
We strive on excellence through superior technology (Virtuozzo) and solid support. We know what it takes to get you up and running and we will guide you all the way. Our success is credited to our customer service focus; you can always rely on KnownHost when you need us the most. All KnownHost's services are monitored with our advanced management tools via Virtuozzo so performance will always be of the highest quality.
Need more reasons?
Need more reasons why KnownHost is the only hosting company you know and trust?
* Expertise - KnownHost has 15 years of experience in the hosting industry. We know how hosting should work from the time you sign up to the time you need support. That is why we have made this a no hassle, worry free hosting operation catered to the needs of all customer types.
* Money Back Guarantee - All packages excluding Dedicated Servers come with a 30 day no hassle money back guarantee. Domain purchases are not eligible for refunds. (Please note: Only new customers are eligible for our 30 day money back guarantee.)
* Reliability - The hardware we use is carefully chosen and customers are allocated in an orderly fashion based on package type. All hardware is premier based on Dual Quad Core Xeon's all in RAID 10 Array with more than enough resources. By default, all servers have a Virtuozzo (Virtual Private Server or VPS) layer allowing maximum efficiency of your hardware. Backups or migrations with Virtuozzo are done with zero downtime; as a customer you can upgrade to a new server (VPS) or larger packages without any issues. We will NEVER allow our customer's performance to suffer as a result of poor server quality or lack of resources made available. Proactive server management is our forte. All servers are located in the Colo4Dallas facility in Dallas, Texas, Net2ez in Piscataway, New Jersey or Digital Reality Trust in Los Angeles, California with remote hands standing by.
* Cost - Our pricing is very aggressive for mainly one reason; we strive to be the most widely KNOWNHOST in the market. Drop us an email anytime if you need some presales or support questions answered. Part of us being so affordable is the confidence we have in how we can serve you like no other.
* Ideal Hosting Platform - We use the Industry's most popular hosting solutions for all our services. All servers are installed with Virtuozzo at the host level which allows maximum performance compared to your ordinary server with just a control panel. All customers will have the freedom to choose which control panel be it Plesk, cPanel or DirectAdmin. All control panels are offered for our base level package all the way up to our VPS packages. So you can upgrade as you grow.
COMPANY CONTACT INFORMATION:
518 Kimberton Road PMB 355
Phoenixville, PA 19460-4737
Phone: 1-866-332-9894 (Sales, Toll Free)
Best Time to Call: None available
* General Inquiries - info [at] knownhost [dot] com
* Sales Inquiries - sales [at] knownhost [dot] com
* Billing Inquiries - billing [at] knownhost [dot] com
* Marketing Inquiries - marketing [at] knownhost [dot] com
* Technical Support - support [at] knownhost [dot] com or Help Desk
Live Chat: None available
Community Support: http://forums.knownhost.com/
COMPANY TERMS AND POLICIES:
Terms of Service: http://www.knownhost.com/tos.html
Shared/Reseller Web Hosting Details (as gotten from Ticket 63847):
1. Restriction on cron usage for shared hosting accounts?: Cron usage is not restricted by us
2. Email Sending Restrictions on Shared Hosting Accounts: We do not have any hard coded limits but we do not allow any kind of mass / bulk mailing to be done on shared/reseller systems. If bulk mailing is required please consider getting a VPS instead of reseller account.
3. Allow_url_include, allow_url_fopen and SSI enabled?: Yes
4. Passthru(),system(), and exec() enabled?: Yes
5. Ioncube and zend allowed?: Yes
6. 777 chmod allowed?: Yes but this won't work in case of PHP script - any php script with group or world writable permissions won't be executed.
7. Grace period allowed in case of payment failure: At this very moment we give 7 days grace period.
8. Backup policy for shared hosting accounts?: We have two types of backup for shared systems:
- Per-account daily backup. Created and rotated daily. So, if you've removed some file and need it to be restored please make sure to submit a support ticket promptly as previous backup containing the removed file will be overwritten with a new one after midnight EST;
- Full system backup - we create an image of every shared/reseller system every other day and store these images for at least a week. Full system backups are created for disaster recovery purposes only and cannot be used for single file/directory restoration.
9. Clustered hosting offered?: Sorry, we do not.
10. Perl 5.6 or later,mod_rewrite, Crypt::SSLeay,DBI module, etc enabled?: Yes
Service Cancellation Terms:
Customer acknowledges that the amount of the fee for the service is based on Customer's agreement to pay the fee for the entire Initial Term, or Renewal Term, as applicable. In the event KnownHost terminates the Agreement for Customer's breach of the Agreement in accordance with Section 9 (Termination), or Customer terminates the service other than in accordance with Section 9 (Termination) for KnownHost breach, the unpaid fees for each billing cycle remaining in the Initial Term or then-current Renewal Term, as applicable, are due on the business day following termination of the Agreement. Customer also acknowledges that a minimum of 7 days cancellation notice or downgrade of current package prior to the following renewal term must be given in writing to KnownHost or the Customer will be responsible for full payment of the following term. The cancellation request will be subject to the following guidelines:
Most of the above information regarding this hosting company has been collected by us through various sources (apart from the information offered on company's website), such as:Share this: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Facebook | eMail | LinkedIn